May 14, 1938
The wheels were set in motion which would bring electric power to rural Montana. Several ranchers were instrumental in getting the project rolling and they petitioned the Rural Electric Administration (REA), now called Rural Utilities Service (RUS), in Washington, D.C. to form a rural electric association to supply power and to allocate funds for the project.
Fergus Electric Cooperative began with 176 miles of power lines and a member count of 203 in 1939.
Construction workers used hand tools to dig holes and erect poles. The "banjo" - a straight bladed narrow shovel and the "spoon" - a tool used to scoop out dirt were the principal tools available.
A semi-mechanical digger, called a "budda" came into use.
Fergus Electric acquired single and double bucket trucks.
The cooperative acquired a high ranger on a four wheel-drive truck.
Fergus Electric Cooperative has grown to 4,100 miles of energized line covering 24,000 square miles in 14 counties. The member count has increased to approximately 3,926 in 2021. As needed, equipment is purchased and replaced.